The Red Poppy Experiment

Follow the adventures of one woman as she wears her red poppy all year round.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Almost lifted one from Sturgeon Falls

Last weekend, I was in Sturgeon Falls at a high school (30-minutes north of North Bay). Nice town and everyone's fiercely Franco-Ontarian. Meaning that their first language is french, which is weird living in Ontario.

At this high school while in the physical education office, I saw a red poppy stuck to a bulletin board. For just a split second, I thought about lifting it (a more elegant way to say steal). I looked at it and looked at it and was wrestling with my desire to have a red poppy again and the fact that it's wrong to steal.

After a few seconds, I decided not to take what isn't mine. What stopped me? One, I'm a Christian. Second, I thought of karma (watch one of my favourite shows My Name Is Earl to see what I mean). Third, there was a photo of happy children stuck on the bulletin board right beside the poppy. After seeing their smiling faces, I knew that lifting it would be wrong.

So, I tearfully said goodbye to the poppy and left the phys ed office. I'll get my replacement poppy some other way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home